~raising happy, healthy, confident girls in this crazy world~

Sunday, May 15, 2011

~Low Carb "Diet"...in moderation~

I've never followed a fad diet or really restricted myself from food. I LOVE food...ALL of it and I will eat and enjoy pretty much anything! I have always practiced everything in moderation...even having days of over indulgence! I battled with hypothyroid and gained 55 pounds with both pregnancies. I busted my butt in the gym throughout my entire pregnancy with Rita and lost most of the weight before getting pregnant with Ruby. I realized very quickly that my body was going to do a repeat performance with pregnancy number 2 so I stopped stressing over the weight gain issue fairly quickly. I did work out but just not as much nor for as long....the weight has not been as easy to lose. I studied nutrition in college and now have been able to learn from experience that the ONLY way to lose weight is by counting calories and making sure you have more going out than going in. It truly is a perfect science!

I have always been a calorie counter. When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid and I was more swollen with a slight weight gain, I immediately went to calorie counting. I would use three books and log everything I consumed and all of the nutritional information in a notebook. Today technology makes it super easy to do with some even having a bar code scanning function. I have been a big fan of Spark People and recently the My Fitness Pal app for the smartphones!

When I began the Whittle Your Middle workout plan, I started to not worry so much with the calorie counting. I spent that time blogging about my goals and accomplishments instead. Then, with the Interval Training I stopped altogether. I noticed that I would eat just a little more or have one more glass of wine or just a little bit of that won't hurt since I'm working so hard! Next thing you know I'm eating like I'm a kid with the fastest metabolism ever. Even with good food choices the calories add up! It is no longer my goal to get to my pre-pregnancy weight but I would love to drop just a few more pounds...they say the last 10 is the hardest!

I am now resorting to drastic measures. I have vowed to not eat carbs past 5 o'clock. Yes there are things that I eat for dinner that have a few carbs otherwise there wouldn't be anything to eat! And just for the record I am getting plenty of carbs during the day...just restricting at night. This is awkward for me. I take pride in just how much I enjoy food. I don't want to be that girl picking out the stuff I can't eat! It's too late...I'm already 6 days into it! I've found some pretty good recipes and ideas and I will share this short journey with you.

2 comments:

Brandee said...

I love your enthusiasm and your commitment and your willingness to share and inspire! You are awesome, and I love you!! You are doing so great! Wish I'd be seeing you in a few weeks!!!!

Kila Bell said...

Thank You Brandee...love and miss ya lots. Give big hugs and kisses to that beautiful family of yours!