~raising happy, healthy, confident girls in this crazy world~

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

~Foods of the Rainbow~

So after stretching the limits on things we luckily still had in stock, we finally went grocery shopping! Sometimes it's nice to clear things out and have a fresh start...not to mention some treasures you find when your pantry has been whittled down to the bare minimum! Oh and clean the fridge! I thought I'd share my grocery run with ya...


Mushrooms, Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Broccoli and Cauliflower, Mixed Greens



Milk, Keifer, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Tortillas, Pita and Hummus, Fish, Chicken Legs, and Chicken Basil Sausage

not pictured: deli meat and cheese, shredded cheese, laughing cow cheese, and goat cheese




Salsa, Plain yogurts to mix in with the single yogurts or to top with fruit, granola and nuts.



Hot Teas...Green, Peppermint, Sleepytime, Get Regular, and just plain Black Tea



Snack Shelf:(close up picture later) Rice Cakes, Crackers, Snap pea crisps, Apple Sauce, Dried Seaweed. LOTS of CEREAL...my girls would eat 5 bowls every morning if i let them!



Granolas, Dried Fruits, Seeds & Nuts, Dark Chocolates, Spices,




Canned Goods: Beans, Olives, Grains & Pasta, Nut butters, Soups





Craig's lunch stuff: This man takes a sandwich and chips to work everyday. Sometimes we change up the bread or he'll add some avocado but he eats a sandwich, chips, sweet, and fruit every.single.time. well there are burrito days and i've offered to change it up but he's accustomed to eating this and says it's easier that heating something up?!?!




Craig's lunch chips, tortilla chips (baked and regular) and Pretzels, Oats Cereal and Granola bars, Maple syrup




Bulk items: Flours (wheat, all purpose, peanut etc) Oats, Sea Salt, yes dark choco chips! more Grains, Legumes and Pastas.




Bigger shot of snacky shelf oh look there's some popcorn too!




Fruits...Pineapple, Cantaloupe, Blueberries...




Bananas, Apples, Avocado, Oranges....




with more just picked waiting to be rinsed!



So when we've waited too long to go to the store, there's oranges in the winter/spring, and figs in the summer just growing in our backyard!


not pictured: Onions, Peppers, Garlic and RED WINE!


I have a few stores that I rotate amongst...Trader Joe's is by far my favorite! The only thing I'm not a big fan of is their produce, although it has improved over the years. It's okay though because we have the Farmer's Market every Wednesday and I love getting farm fresh produce that is locally grown without harmful pesticides or hormones! Henry's Market place is another one and they have amazing produce that is super inexpensive and it's also the place I go for my bulk items. We also have the Appletree market which is really only good for last minute things or if something was forgotten or if Craig has run out of some lunch supplies. I love grocery shopping and I usually don't have a list and sometimes that works for me and other times I'll end up having to make another grocery run!



Where do you shop?


Tell me one thing I need to add to my goods!

4 comments:

Lisa @ Eat.Pray.Run. said...

seriously, it's kind of embarrassing how much i enjoyed this post...i LOVE seeing other peoples food/pantry etc.

i giggled to myself about the stuff Craig takes for lunch. him being such a creature of habit like that does not surprise me!! sounds exactly like Jeremy describes him even as a kid! too funny.

what do you use peanut flour for??

love those pics of the oranges from your back yard...*sigh* your house always = joy for me and our family.

Lisa @ Eat.Pray.Run. said...

oh yeah, i forgot to answer your questions!

1. i shop at Walmart, Price Chopper and Costco. ugh. COME ON TJ'S!! Not much longer now!!

2. hmmm, something you should add to your grocery list? it looked like you've got it all covered to me. i don't know how you do it without a list though! i try to meal plan for the week on Sunday nights and build my list around that. i waste less food that way.

Kila Bell said...

I have done lists before and meal planning. I think since our schedules are super inconsistent I ended up making meals that we all weren't around to enjoy. I've always been a one hit wonder kind of a cook and I usually do different variations of the same meals.

Peanut flour is new actually thanks to http://www.fitfoodiefinds.com/ I absolutely LOVE her recipe segment!

Mia said...

This blog isnpires and at the same time reminds me that I need to go grocery shopping desperately